What you need to know about International Experience Canada (IEC)

Maybe it’s time to pack up and begin to explore the world and all it has to offer. “International Experience Canada” (IEC) gives you the opportunity to work, travel and gain experience in one of the participating countries. If you are trying to come to Canada under this program, read more below.


International Experience Canada, IEC, provides opportunities for young Canadians to travel and work abroad. In countries that Canada has a Youth Mobility Arrangement (YMA) with you can choose between these 3 travel and work experience programs:

  • Working Holiday: a great way to pay for your travels with temporary work.
  • Young Professional: gain professional work experience in a new country and learn about working in different cultures and work environments.
  • International Co-op Internship: a fantastic way for students to gain work experience in their field of study abroad.

All 3 programs are not available in every country that Canada has a YMA with, so you need to ensure that the country you are interested in visiting has the specific program you are seeking. Canada has treaties with 31 countries that enable cultural exchange between the two countries. You should be between the ages of 18 and 35 or 30: the maximum age may vary depending on what country you plan to travel and work in.

RECOMMENDED➡️  Manitoba issues new invitations to skilled workers and international graduates